My little sister Destiny asked me for a list of seasonings that should absolutely be in her kitchen so here ya go Des! I have a lot more than the list below but these are my go to’s that are on my spice rack,
- Salt & Pepper of course, but to switch it up you can buy the grinders with sea salt and peppercorn in them.
The peppercorn freshly ground is an absolute game changer…especially if they are toasted! Plus you can find some really cute grinders.
Pink Himalayan Sea Salt is my favorite. I buy this in bulk at sprouts or at the farmers market
- Garlic Powder
Uses – pastas, batters, dry rubs, great combination with other spices. It’s also good on popcorn! Seriously try it!
- Onion Powder
Uses – meatloaf, chili, burgers dry rubs and more
Uses – Honestly in my household growing up and now I use this for the top of potato salad, angel eggs and added to flour when frying something like chicken and that’s only to add color. If you use it to add flavor to something please tell me!
- Cayenne Pepper
Uses – You can add this to anything really
This is your spicy seasoning. The more you add the spicier it will get.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Uses – This is another one of your spicy seasoning. you can use this in spaghetti sauce & Pizza sauce
Uses – Cakes, pies, tea, cider. I also use this in my baked beans, my bbq sauce and in my Slow Cooked Pulled Pork
- Vanilla Extract
Uses – Same as cinnamon, the two pair well.
Uses – Mainly used in Italian dishes like red sauces, it’s also one of the main ingredients in Pesto
- Chili Powder
Uses – Chili…I honestly can’t think of anything else. LOL
*Pre-made Spice Mixes*
- Cajun Spice – Salt, paprika, pepper, onion, garlic, mustard, coriander, cumin, thyme, celery, basil and oregano
I found this at my local farmers market it has:
Uses – I’ve used this on chicken and seafood, potatoes and I also use this in my vegan corn chowder. This is one that kinda just goes well with just about everything
- Lemon Pepper seasoning – Lemon zest & pepper
Uses – I mean who doesn’t like a good lemon pepper wing?!? You can also use it on seafood.
- Old Bay – Celery salt, mustard, red and black pepper, bay leaves, cloves, allspice, ginger, mace, cardamom, cinnamon, and paprika.
Uses – For seafood like shrimp and grab boils
- Goya Adobo w/Pepper – Salt, Granulated Garlic, Oregano, Black Pepper and Turmeric
I use this in everything!! I got rid of my Lawry’s season salt years ago for this!
Let me know what’s in your spice cabinet!!